Links of Interest

Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Book Review: Uglies by Scott Westerfeld




About the Book: 

Tally is about to turn 16, but surprisingly, she's not excited about getting a driver's license. She's excited to finally be turning pretty. In Tally's world, turning 16 means that you get an operation to become stunningly beautiful. You're no longer an ugly outcast. In this world, being pretty means that your only job is to party and have a great time. Until Tally meets another girl who shares the same birthday as her, she thought that everyone couldn't wait until they became pretty.

Shay doesn't think that she wants to become pretty and she tells Tally her plans of running away and when Shay does run away, Tally gets to see a different side of the pretty world and it isn't very good. That's when Tally is given a choice by the authorities: Find Shay and return her, or never turn pretty... ever.


My Thoughts:


Uglies is such an amazing read. I love any kind of dystopian type story and the world of uglies and pretties is so very interesting. It kind of reminds me about today's society and everyone wishing that they looked like a certain supermodel or actress/actor. The difference between now and in this dystopian future is that there's an even more sinister thing about being pretty. It's not as amazing as most might think. In my opinion, being a pretty seems to be rather boring with the endless parties, getting drunk, and your worst problem would be on trying to figure out what to wear to said parties. Sure, everyone wants to be told that they are beautiful and they want to be admired for it, but I'm sure most people would get tired of that kind of thing easily. Also, with what being pretty means in this world, I would rather pass and continue my life as an ugly. 

I felt like I really got to know these characters and despite the setting being in the far future, I felt like I could relate to them based on their premise of everyone wanting to be pretty and not wanting to be ugly. I believe that everyone wants to feel like they fit in with the 'it' crowd at some point in their lives and this is a great book at showing you that it's not always the best place to be. 


I really enjoyed reading this novel and I can't wait to see what happens in the next!

Overall, I gave this book 5 out of 5 stars.

You can purchase Uglies by Scott Westerfeld by clicking the links below.

E-book version



Print Paperback version

No comments:

Post a Comment